Oh What A Night…

12 Jan

Now that it is Tuesday evening I think that I am sufficiently recovered from Sunday night to be able to blog about the events of the night.  It all started around 4:00 pm Sunday afternoon.  We were at the house and Wee-wood 2 woke up and vomited.  She-wood and I were like, “Wow! That was random.”  We decided to watch her, and unfortunately, over the next 2  1/2 hours she threw up 3 more times.  Needless to say we were on our way toward the ER around 7:45 PM.  Luckily, my parents were able to meet us at the hospital and take Wee-wood 1 for the night.  So after 3 fun-filled hours at the ER during which we got to watch Shrek the Third, we were sent home with the diagnosis of a stomach virus that has apparently been “going around.”  We were told that if she got worse we should come back.  We got into bed about 11:30 PM, and much to my displeasure Wee-wood 2 woke up again at exactly 1:00 AM and she threw up again.  This time it came with the lovely feature of extra bile and a little blood. (Sorry, I guess I should have said viewer discretion is advised to begin with, but I guess it is too late now. Continue reading.)  So, you guessed it, back to the ER for a second time in less than 6 hours.  I will let She-wood inform you of the adventure she had in checking in the second time while I parked the car, but anyways we were back in the children’s ER at about 2:00 AM.  We saw the same doctor that we had seen the first time we were there, and she said that she did not know why our pediatrician had sent us back.  This somewhat greatly irritated She-wood and I, but you know.  The doctor decided to do a full work up on poor little Wee-wood 2.  In the next hour, she was catheterized for a urine sample and she had an IV in her hand to both draw blood samples and administer fluids.  Now I know I would probably would be a little perturbed if I was having this done to me at 3:00 in the morning, but I have never seen a kid so angry as dear little Wee-wood 2 was.  She literally tried to bite the IV out of her hand.  I was somewhat taken aback and amazed by this.  I had never witnessed this behavior  in the human species.  But anyway, we got her calmed down and she finally went to sleep.  Although the accommodations  were not 5-star by any means, She-wood and I tried to settle in for a little rest while we waited for the lab results.  At about 4:15 AM the doctor came into the room informing us that she had found the problem.  It was at this point that I was completely taken off guard by the left hook from nowhere that hit me directly in the face.  The doctor informed us, “Your daughter has a raging urinary tract infection,” and that is a direct quote.  No I’m not exactly sure that raging is a technical medical term, but it conjured a reaction in my of “Wow! Raging?”  She informed us that while a normal white blood cell count would be in the 0-5 range, poor Wee-wood 2 had approximately 2700.  Yes, 2700!  Pretty crazy.  But, with this knowledge, we were able to set a course for wellness.  We finally got back home a little after 6:00 AM in the morning.  She-wood, Wee-wood 2 and myself crashed on the couch and slept until about noon, and when we awoke Wee-wood 2 was a different little girl.  She actually woke up smiling.  She is now acting as if she is back to her normal self.  We are giving her antibiotics for the next week and a half, but at least we figured out what was wrong.

Just as a side note, in case you were wondering, yes.  Apparently urinary tract infection induce vomiting in infants.  I know, it was somewhat of a shock to me as well.  I don’t really understand how an infection in your bladder and ureters casues you to throw up.  Pretty weird,but true.

So that was our crazy night.  Hope you enjoyed my account, and I am sure that She-wood will weigh in on the subject soon.


One Response to “Oh What A Night…”

  1. She-wood January 12, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

    Haha you crack me up! The check in process the second time was quite hairy. A man came stumbling in shaking and soaking wet. He was detoxing from ethanol. It’s do sad and scary to see how dependent the body gets to chemicals. I might blog one day about another drunk I’ve had sn incident with but I was very scared this man would lash out and hurt wee-wood and I while he-wood was parking the car!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: